Friday, October 24, 2008

Five Star Friday (HO JO STYLE!)




Yes indeed, it's true. When I first view the hotel schedule and see that our last 2 nights of the race, just outside of Shanghai, would be spent at a Howard Johnson, I didn't expect to spend anymore time than needed. Much to my happy char gin, the manager Sean and his staff at the Ho Jo Zhangjiang (think "ying yang", but with a Heineken in your hand) Shanghai have a nice thing going with a name that, at least for me, formally meant $2.50 happy hour drinks at a smokey dive in Times Square. Saving the best for last, buffet and bath robe in gratis.

Great race on Friday, nearly 100 km circuit, along the ocean and back into the finish in suburban city of Shanghai. Smooth roads, and I'm becoming more relaxed, yet clearly too little too late for this wounded warrior to make any clear chance of a breakaway. Happy to see Lisban in the attack, unfortunately along with all the other major GC players, so he wasn't able to gain any time on the few men ahead of him.

The major thing to report is that my inhibitions, the few I had to begin with, are now complete gone. But in a very good natured way. During a prerace TV interview with a local reporter, I ask her what she thinks about Tibet. The awkward moment passes when I flash my sweat wrist band, with its big red Communist star on it and I crack a big smile. "I love China. And your pretty boots!"

In terms of my position in the race, well, it doesn't matter. But then, it does. One on hand, I've gone from troubled to tough to total catastrophic, but being the "Lantern Rouge" in a UCI stage race gives me an overwhelming feeling of freedom and service to my team and I nothing-to-lose positive attitude

With one stage to go, two flat tires, and my scar count near 2 dozen, I couldn't be in a better state. I still have a lot left to give. And who knows? I think I have some lucky stored up somewhere. We'll do what we gotta do to get our man in position for a final stance tomorrow.

Are we in Shanghai yet? All I see is smog....

(once again, Lane is not only a good wrench, but a keen eye when it comes to the lens. Thanks buddy)

No comments: